Design and Construction Standards
Campus buildings and outdoor spaces play a major role in defining our institutional image and in creating an ambiance that makes Virginia Tech unique. The quality of landscape and building design has a profound impact on the visual appearance of the campus and how the university and the surrounding community are perceived and integrated.
The Facilities Department seeks to maintain the architectural traditions at Virginia Tech while maximizing the potential of each campus project for efficiency, accessibility, and longevity. To that end, the Facilities Department has developed design standards that set the quality expectations for all new and renovation construction projects for Virginia Tech.
These design standards are provided in the Virginia Tech Design and Construction Standards Manual (DCSM) and work in tandem with the Virginia Tech Master Plans and Policies and the Virginia Tech Construction and Professional Services Manual (VT CPSM).
- Appendix A - Campus Design Principles
- Appendix B - Student Experience: VT's Next 20 Years
- Appendix C - University Space Management
- Appendix D - Site Furnishing Guide
- Appendix E - Interior Signage Standards Manual
- Appendix F - Campus Wayfinding Guidelines
- Appendix G - Hokie Stone Masonry Guide Specifications
- Appendix H - Transportation & Parking Review Checklist
Mike Vellines, P.E.
Design and Construction Standards Official
Facilities Department (0529)
Sterrett Facilities Complex
230 Sterrett Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061