Design and Construction Standards
Campus buildings and outdoor spaces play a major role in defining our institutional image and in creating an ambiance that makes Virginia Tech unique. The quality of landscape and building design has a profound impact on the visual appearance of the campus and how the university and the surrounding community are perceived and integrated.
The Division of Campus Planning, Infrastructure, and Facilities (CPIF) seeks to maintain the architectural traditions at Virginia Tech while maximizing the potential of each campus project for efficiency, accessibility, and longevity. To that end, CPIF has developed design standards that set the quality expectations for all new and renovation construction projects for Virginia Tech.
These design standards are provided in the Virginia Tech Design and Construction Standards Manual (DCSM) and work in tandem with the Virginia Tech Master Plans and Policies and the Virginia Tech Construction and Professional Services Manual (VT CPSM).
- Appendix A - Campus Design Principles
- Appendix B - The Virginia Tech Student Experience: VT's Next 20 Years
- Appendix C - University Space Management
- Appendix D - Site Furnishing Guide (Updated August 31, 2023)
- Appendix E - Interior Signage Standards Manual 2023
- Appendix F - Campus Wayfinding Guidelines
- Appendix G - Hokie Stone Masonry Guide Specifications
- Appendix H - Maintenance of Traffic Plans
- Appendix I - Approved Plant and Tree Lists
- Appendix J - BAS Standards: Sequence of Operations
Design Waiver Approval Routing Flowchart (updated August 2023)
The Archive houses prior releases of the Design and Construction Standards Manual and the accompanying documents for each release.
The Training page houses video recordings and slides of the training presentations for the versions of the DCSM.
Design and Construction Standards Team
Division of Campus Planning, Infrastructure, and Facilities (0529)
230 Sterrett Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061