The renovation/renew project focuses on three historic buildings located on the Drillfield: Davidson Hall (front section), Sandy Hall, and the Liberal Arts Building.
Collectively, these renovations will increase the functionality of three underutilized buildings, address several deferred maintenance issues, and reduce critical space deficiencies.
All three renovations will be accomplished in alignment with the university’s goal (Virginia Tech Climate Action Commitment) for all major renovations and new construction to achieve a minimum LEED rating of silver.
The architect/engineer for the project is Glave and Holmes Architecture and the general contractor is Branch & Associates, Inc.
Davidson Hall houses offices, classrooms, and laboratories for the chemistry department. The renovation includes exterior repairs to masonry and window replacement, and will fully rehabilitate the interior of the 28,688 square foot historic front section of the building. That portion of the building houses seven classrooms, in addition to multiple administrative and faculty offices for the Department of Chemistry. The building, which dates to the 1930s, will get a full overhaul into a modern teaching-and-research building, leaving only the original stone facade untouched.
A $31.1 million renovation to the middle and back portions of the building was completed in 2014, which provided 45,000 square feet of state-of-the-art lab space and a new lecture hall that seats 348 people.
Sandy Hall is an academic building on the Ag Quad that was built in 1924. The building houses offices for the School of Neuroscience. Sandy Hall is an academic building on the Ag Quad that was built in 1924. The building houses offices for the School of Neuroscience. Renovations include several administrative offices, conference rooms, and a distance learning room.
The 12,823 square foot Sandy Hall will receive a comprehensive interior renovation and rehabilitation of the building exterior, and two additions totaling 4,800 gross square feet will be constructed on the Ag Quad (south) side of the building to provide additional academic support space, vertical egress circulation, and accessible facilities.
Liberal Arts Building
The Liberal Arts Building, formerly the Performing Arts Building, is used by the School of Performing Arts and Cinema and the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences. It was built in the 1899 to house Virginia Tech’s first Young Men's Christian Association.
The 14,314-square-foot building will receive a comprehensive interior and exterior renovation, and a 2,000-square-foot addition will be constructed on the northwest end of the building to provide ADA accessible facilities.
The renovated building will house the dean’s suite as well as the Undergraduate Academic Affairs and Undergraduate Research Institute offices.
Gross Square Footage
56,094 GSF (total: new & renovated)
Virginia Tech Project Manager
For additional information, contact Joe Hoeflein at 540-231-3689.