Improve Kentland Facilities
The project includes the construction of three new agricultural buildings which will support Department of Dairy Science research and instruction within the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. The new buildings include:
Metabolic Research Laboratory (MRL)
- 11,330 gross-square-feet
- 2-story building
- Four (4) total animal labs with two (2) Biosafety Level 2 labs for infectious disease control.
- Each lab holds six (6) cattle in custom stainless steel stalls that adjust to the specific size of each cow.
- Manure collection and management for each lab space. Manure from BSL2 labs is used to determine animal health and is decontaminated prior to land application.
- Building is constructed with heavy-duty insulated concrete walls that are left uncoated to prevent damage from cattle handling. Mechanical system allows lab spaces to be heated 75 degrees Fahrenheit above outdoor temperature.
Applied Reproduction Facility (APR)
- 4,978 gross-square-feet
- Will provide student instruction and experience in bovine palpation.
Bovine Extension, Teaching and Research Facility (BETR)
- 10,277 gross-square-feet
- Will provide classrooms, labatory, and animal holding space, supporting hands-on animal science instruction and research. It will also house extension activities.
Under construction - all projects
Virginia Tech project manager
Concept images and renderings