Game Day Green Team
Game Day Green Team activities will not be held this season due to Covid-19.
Football games bring thousands of fans onto campus, which means that tons of additional waste is created, especially during tailgates. As part of Virginia Tech’s commitment to sustainability, the Office of Sustainability's Game Day Green Team game day recycling initiative encourages tailgaters to recycle their bottles and cans.
During home football games, the student-run Green Tailgating team collects bottles and cans from tailgates and hands out blue recycling bags. The team also strives to build awareness around sustainability, recycling, and waste reduction through their efforts.
It is now easier than ever to recycle as a tailgater:
- There are recycling flags posted in the Coliseum, Stadium, Track/Field House, Chicken Hill, and Litton Reeves parking lots where individuals can obtain free blue recycling bags. A map of parking lot locations is available.
- Game Day Green Team volunteers also hand out recycling bags in many of the parking lots surrounding Lane Stadium.
- Plastic bottles, glass bottles, aluminum cans, plastic cups (such as Solo cups), and clean cardboard can all be recycled.
- Filled recycling bags should be left at a recycling flag.
- Paper plates, napkins, styrofoam, and food waste are not recyclable and should not be included in the bag.
How to Volunteer
From individuals looking for volunteer hours to those who are passionate about sustainability, the Game Day Green Team is a fun and rewarding opportunity for all.
Individuals interested in volunteering on the Game Day Green Team should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteers can expect to:
- spend one to two hours volunteering, which will end about a half an hour before game time;
- be put in groups of three to four people and assigned a parking lot;
- walk around the assigned lot and hand out blue recycling bags to tailgaters;
- answer any questions tailgaters may have about recycling; and
- receive a Game Day Green Team t-shirt to wear and keep.
Volunteering at every game is not required. Individuals can pick which game(s) they would like to volunteer for during sign up.
To get a better look about what a typical Game Day looks like as part of the Green Team, watch this video!
Additional ways to Green Game Day
Recycling is a great place to start, but there are many different ways to make a tailgate greener.
- Carpool or walk to the game
- Use propane to grill
- Bring reusable plates, cups, utensils, and grocery bags
- Recycle bottles, cups, cans, and cardboard in the provided bags
- Buy in bulk versus single serving snacks to reduce packaging waste
- Buy local from the Blacksburg Farmer’s Market